The key elements of the government's reform package are:
- Increasing the threshold for reporting children and young people to the Child Protection Helpline from "risk of harm" to "risk of significant harm".
- Establishing Child Wellbeing Units in the major government reporting agencies.
- Establishing a network of Family Referral Services.
- Enhanced service provision, including prevention and early intervention services and acute services.
- Increasing the role of non-government organisations in delivering services.
- Changes to out-of-home care.
- Changes to processes in the Children's Court.
- Providing better services to Aboriginal children and young people, with the aim of reducing their over-representation in the child protection system.